This is Jack Fulk’s simple cornbread recipe. My mom made Papa’s cornbread at least once a week growing up. Cooked the old fashioned way in a cast iron skillet.
Cast iron skillet, plain yellow corn meal, full fat buttermilk, vegetable or preferred oil, salt, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, 1 egg.
- Pour 5 TBSP oil into a cast iron skillet. Put into oven, and preheat oven to 400, non-convection bake
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups of plain yellow corn meal, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder
- Add 2 cups of buttermilk and an egg to dry, and mix well
- Once oven is ag 400 and oil is hot, pour hot oil into wet mix and blend well.
- Pour wet mix back into hot skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Turn on broiler to brown. Watch carefully and remove when top is golden brown.
- Flip and dump from pan onto a plate. Let sit for 15 minutes, then slice.
- Serve with softened butter, jelly, and honey.